2 minute read
Close your eyes and picture your dream summer getaway. Do you see dollar signs when thinking about your amazing adventures? Check out these tips and ideas for summer getaways without busting your budget.
Cross Country Road Trip
Where is your ideal oasis? Laying on the sandy beaches of Florida, backpacking in the Colorado Mountains or cruising through the Sequoia Cypress trees in California. Here are some tips to consider when planning your dream summer vacation.
- Stay in hotels in the off-season
- Pack snacks for road trips and prepare own meals
- Map out the closest routes to save on gas
- Fly mid-week to save on tickets
- Start saving early
Stash your cash ahead of time with the 52 Week Savings Challenge. On week 1, save $1. Each week increase the amount you save by a dollar for 52 weeks. You will save $1,378 in one short year! Open a travel fund savings account and watch your savings grow.
Iowa is more than a fly over state! Discover the adventures that Iowa has to offer with a short weekend getaway. Many daytrips in Iowa include the thrill of rides at Adventureland, cheering on the underdog at the Prairie Meadows Camel Races, or exploring the mysterious Maquoketa Caves.
Enjoy the beauty of Southwest Iowa with a trip to the country to see a colorful sunset, share a delicious picnic at a nearby park or camp at your favorite lake. Explore our local state parks (Green Valley Lake and Lake of Three Fires) or rent a cabin at Lake Icaria and Three Mile Lake. Simple getaways can reduce stress and improve brain function. Hop in the car and benefit from a short drive that allows you to kick back and relax.
As summer nears, here are some money management tips to help you prepare for your summer getaway:
- Notify your bank or credit card company if you are traveling out of state
- Set up eAlerts and watch purchases on your phone to avoid fraudulent charges
- To stay on budget, load the amount of money you are willing to spend on a prepaid card